Too often all that’s shown is the final product. So why not make a page of my mistakes, and my worst work?
Part of this website, I suppose, is me wanting to feel like I’m a real person, so a mistakes page is a natural corollary.
Also it’s fun. (Make your own!)
Things that could have been better:
- My first science video wasn’t great. I’ll put the link here with embarrassment. (My second video was way better!)
- Second science video:
- The first explanation could’ve been better. (Paper cranes??) My best idea since then has been instead to use a Galton Board and trace out the paths of falling balls to show that there are more paths to the middle than to the edges.
- lots of other problems with the video. Also YouTube compression removed a lot of detail from my face for some reason. Also the weird animation flashing that I wasn’t able to fix.
- Obsessing over technology far too much when I was younger. It’s just new consumerism, and it took me too long to realize that. Technology is a tool to be used, and nothing more. I wasted many hours on youtube this way.
- COVID safety
- Taking off my mask with people at my apartment in the beginning of the semester. I didn’t get sick, but that doesn’t matter. I wouldn’t have done so, either, if one of the people that commonly visited me didn’t also take off their mask. I fell to the bandwagon effect. I am vulnerable.
- Not taking the pandemic more seriously earlier.
- Why was I unconcerned about long term symptoms of covid for several months even when I knew they might exist?
- Why did it take me 6 months to buy quality masks?
- Not taking my acne seriously enough earlier.
- My skin likely just happens to be the most visible place for a health condition to manifest, and treating the surface symptoms isn’t going to fix the root cause that’s probably damaging other areas of my body, too. But I did seem to solve the root cause of my acne in 2020.
- Originally writing a few of the essays on this website quite aggressively. (Namely, connect, parroting, open-minded, and polarize, but all have been since revised.)
- Writing on this website without any kind of spell check for the first two months. I knew that I should add spell check to my workflow at some point, but why I didn’t do it immediately I’m not sure.
- I wrote an essay for my English class a few years ago similar to this topic. I find it cute.
Essays inspired by mistakes
Posted 2021 January 22.